Monday, March 4, 2013

She Who Creates the Tides

Interesting how things evolve - or how art evolves.  My last post featured work on a wood panel and a small canvas using crackle and self-levelling gel.

It proved to be a good break from my "Ladies of a Certain Era".  Over the past month or so I've produced two paintings which combine faces and different mediums.

A visionary artist, Shiloh Sophia has been an inspiration for me for over a year.  Her work focuses on  women and spirituality, but I am being simplistic here as her work is so much more.  To learn about her, please visit http://www.shilohsophiastudios.com/.

I pushed myself into the unknown to put colors onto a face, to go to Madonna/Buddha influenced features.  Once again, Shiloh helped me to establish the look below.  The Byzantine era, icons, statues, and saints can be embodied in one face.  Interesting too that she emerged so strong.  Was this my intent?  I really had none beyond using color.  But she evolved as the background did.  Towards the end of the process, she took hold and commanded a certain integrity.

So from this place, came "She Who Creates the Tides".
I particularly enjoyed painting the fish who fashion her collar.  Here I used a bead gel - a lovely gloppy white gel with tiny bits in it.
I also applied the gel to the right side of the painting to give a sand quality.
Which brings me to the poem,
The frond I lichen
to the currents
of the sea,
to all things green and moist
I wear them proudly
as part of the "I"
of the fish who adorn me.

Her hair evolved starting with waves on the left to lily pads on the top and small fronds on the right.  I applied thick lines of gold paint to accent the pads.

The colors in her face built up quite slowly.  I started with a yellowish tone and added layers of white, ivory, orange and finally, green.  This was a true test of my "faith".  My "faith" that she would come through all the changes (ah, a life test) and be content with the final result.

The left of the painting was a challenge, what to put there.  I always start with the face and a vague idea of the rest.  I created the water by applying a heavy gel, then running a comb through it.  This area also has layers of paint to get the right color.  Next came the huge green frond and round circles.

Finally, her title, "She Who Creates the Tides".  

Thank you for coming with me through this painting (on many levels and layers).

No comments:

Post a Comment